Friday, April 11, 2008

Alphabet Project


I failed to mention earlier that I'm participating in a unique web-based project called The Alphabet Project.

"The Alphabet Project is a photography project that is taking place between March 2008 and March 2009.

It involves 26 photographers from around the world. Each photographer has a first name that begins with an unique letter of the alphabet, (see right).

Every two weeks the person whose letter of the alphabet it is sets a photographic task for both themselves and the other 25 photographers. The task that the photographer sets can be an adjective, a noun, a specific instruction, a verb etc but it must start with the same letter as the first letter in their name.

By the end of the year there will be 676 photographs with 26 individual interpretations of 26 tasks.

There are also 26 responding photographers who will also respond to each task set bringing the total number of photographs at the end to 1,352.

The hope is to exhibit the work in London and publish the work in a book."

I am one of the 26 responding photographers, and the photo above is my contribution on the theme "Broken".

A note about the photo above. I showed this submission to my wife, Kathy, who is also a trusted editor. She told me that she had seen the black balloons in our neighborhood and was going to mention them to me but had forgotten. I saw the balloons on a stroll through the neighborhood. I bring this up only because it points out how well my wife knows my photographic subjects and that I am entirely predictable. So, I am hereby declaring that I will no longer photograph black balloons tied to garbage bags on the curb. This is a new beginning for me. I swear.

0 comments:

 
 
Copyright © The Way Things Are
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com