Saturday, May 31, 2008

Time Zero


I've been meaning to write about Polaroid's impending death for a while. Around the time of the announcement that they would stop producing film, I had scanned some of my old Polaroids. These were lighting and exposure tests from the days when I was assisting a lot - I had planned on posting them here, I still may, but not today. I must say though, I have a decent collection of photos of myself in mildly absurd situations. Like below, as an Audi mechanic.


Tonight, though, I was looking through my folders of Polaroid prints to see if I had any portraits suitable for the File/Flak/JPG Magazine Polaroid Portrait Challenge.

© Brian Widdis

In 2001 and 2002, my main cameras, my go to cameras, were a Polaroid SX70 and a 680. Looking back, it's hard to believe that I put up with all the hassles of using those cameras and film. Every time you pressed the button, besides costing at least a dollar, there was the possibility that your exposure would be way off, you would get roller marks, or an unprocessed corner, not to mention a bad batch of film. The problems and limitations were maddening, but there was always the possibility of seeing something in a Polaroid that was completely unexpected.

0 comments:

 
 
Copyright © The Way Things Are
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com